denied update from [an IP I don't know] for "my domain"

Joe Kattner joe.kattner at adelphia.com
Thu Feb 21 13:39:01 UTC 2002

The request that is denied is coming from 138.89.40.249, so there is =
nothing
you can do about it. You've written the IP Admin, so aside from =
blocking or
ignoring it, there's not much left for you to do. The requests are =
denied,
so aside from the logs, it's not uncommon for DNS administrators to get =
them
on a regular basis, and usually not cause for a concern. There is =
nothing in
your configuration that will explain this, nor is the similarity of =
other
domain names you host of any relevance to this problem.

Someone posted that it is a Windows 2k machine, based on a frequent =
number
of retries, it probably is, but remember that may or may not be true =
though.
The source of a dynamic update can be a number of things, Windows, =
nsupdate,
a DHCP server, or something else. You can't conclusively say what it is
coming from with that message alone. It's on by default on Windows 2k, =
so
that is a likely candidate in this case, but it's not the only one. =
Perhaps
someone really is trying to manipulate the data in aades.com.

You'll also probably want to turn off recursive queries from unknown =
clients
on both you're name servers ( ns.makingofweb.com and ns.sioc.org). =
Anyone on
the internet can use you're name servers for resolution. Again, it's =
likely
a Windows 2k trying to update itself, but with an 'open-door' policy =
like
that, it's possible you've attracted someone looking around to see what =
they
get away with on your servers.

Is aades.com a client of yours? Perhaps they set up their home machine =
use aades.com, and you can just ask them if they are using 2k and are =
on
138.89.40.249? If you choose to block the IP, you may find out the hard =
way
if they are a client.

--Joe