slave on per-zone basis only?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Feb 20 22:08:37 UTC 2002

At 02:12 PM 2/20/02, WebReactor Networks wrote:
>Matt asked:
> >Does an entry such as this need to added for *every* domain
> >that this server is a slave for?
>
>Danny replied:
> > No.  A slave zone only needs to be set up for those domains
> > that have been delegated to it
>
>On the contrary, a server can be a slave for any zone.  I can set up a
>slave server for the zone "ibm.com" if they haven't secured their zone
>transfers (which I'm sure they have, but plenty of servers out there have
>not).  I have used this method on internal networks when I want to avoid
>traversing a WAN link for every query, but don't require quick updates via
>NOTIFY.

Please reread what I said.  I said that it is only NECESSARY for those domains
that have been delegated to it. What I said is still correct. A server can
be a slave
for other zones, but that is not a requirement.

>Also, an entry in named.conf *is* required for each zone this server is to
>be a slave for.

Only on BIND. Other DNS Servers have different requirements for setting up
zones.

         Danny