whois

Will Yardley william-nospam-newdream-net at no.spam.veggiechinese.net
Wed Feb 20 00:58:16 UTC 2002

In article <a4urk2$71s at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Kaijun Zhan wrote:

> not sure what this means - this is done from my dns server. Kaijun
> Zhan at Cadence
>
> # whois microsoft.com

this doesn't really have anything to do with bind.

> Whois Server Version 1.3
>
> Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> for detailed information.
>
> MICROSOFT.COM.Z---HELLO-FROM-SIBERIA---I.Z3S.COM
> MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.LIVE.FOREVER.BUT.LUNIX.SUCKS-BYBIRTH.ARTISTICCHEESE.COM
[...]>
> To single out one record, look it up with "xxx", where xxx is one of the
> of the records displayed above. If the records are the same, look them up
> with "=xxx" to receive a full display for each record.

> The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
> Registrars.

this is the crsnic whois server.  try
 % whois -h whois.networksolutions.com microsoft.com

i've seen this once or twice before; someone's managed to put an
incorrect entry into that whois database presumably.

the gtld servers have the right information.

aura% dig microsoft.com ns @b.gtld-servers.net

; <<>> DiG 9.3.0s20020122 <<>> microsoft.com ns @b.gtld-servers.net
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 6, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 6

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;microsoft.com.                 IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      DNS3.JP.MSFT.NET.
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      DNS1.DC.MSFT.NET.
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      DNS1.SJ.MSFT.NET.
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      DNS1.CP.MSFT.NET.
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      DNS1.TK.MSFT.NET.
microsoft.com.          172800  IN      NS      DNS3.UK.MSFT.NET.

[....]

presumably they need this many dns servers because they're all running
M$'s dns server :>

--
William Yardley                                     Newdream Network
Please reply to the newsgroup only. To reply via email, don't remove