what if central dns servers are blown up ?

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Wed Feb 20 00:04:16 UTC 2002

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 03:45:02PM -0800, Bill Manning wrote:

> > Maybe a router virus which would infect all routers would be able to
> > down the internet... ( I was only wondering about dns )
> >
> > It will probably sometime occur... more and more routers use linux...
> > and linux is not super safe.
> >

> 	Not all the root servers run the same OS, they are not connected
> 	with the same routers.... in fact, they share very little in
> 	common.  You might want to review the minutes of the last ICANN
> 	mtg in Marina del Rey.  The vulnerabilities of the system were
> 	explored.

Some root servers are two different OS's and hardware platforms behind a
load balancer. This gives redundancy within the one root server.

Of course now there's one load balancer platform that's vulnerable.
Maybe you need two of those. Hmm, this slope could get slippery once one
starts down it ;)
Nate Campi     Job: hostmaster at lycos.com and root at wired.com

"If Microsoft can change and compete on quality, I've won."
                                             -- L. Torvalds