Any luck running Bind 8.3.1 under NT/2k with high loads? - not me :(

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Feb 19 19:20:45 UTC 2002

Vinny Abello <vabello at tellurian.com> wrote:

> The reason I'm asking is because I've been trying to get it to run
> reliably on our secondary name server for about a week now. I've gone
> through and groomed the config file looking for any problems and fixed
> a few typos and general errors. We're trying to desperately upgrade
> from 4.9.8 to 8.3.1 on NT. The 4.9.8 version works because we had
> worked with one of the original people (Larry Kahn) that got it stable
> on the NT platform. (We are acutually secondary for a few of Larry's
> domains). He found that in the source it was trying to fork other
> processes which NT does not support. I don't know if ISC takes this
> into account when they produce the NT binaries they have posted on
> their site. After Larry found and fixed this problem in the Bind 4.x
> code several years ago it's been the most stable DNS server for NT. We
> just can't seem to get 8.3.1 from ISC's web site to work reliably for
> more than a few hours. We have it running successfully on a caching
> only server with no problems and also a primary DNS server with a
> couple hundred domains at most. The server we are trying to upgrade
> serves around 2,500 domains which are all secondaries for the server
> (with the exception of the 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa zone and root hit
> cache zone). Anybody putting this kind of load on Bind 8.x with NT
> without problems? 4.9.8 has no problems with it and is actually
> faster. The named-xfer.exe processes kill the machine for several
> minutes (about 4 times longer than 4.9.8 takes). I took almost a whole
> day fixing the config file thinking this was the cause of the problem,
> but still no luck. I was going to try and run it in a high debug level
> minimized on the server until it crashes so I can see what's going on.
> Does anyone else have any suggestions? Feel free to email me with your
> experiences. Thanks very much in advance!

The first thing to do is install OpenBSD , second, install bind-8.3.1
or bind-9.2 ( both will install smooth )

Your problems will most likley disappear ( yea you will get used to
a new environment, but it's not that bad). As an extra bonus
you will get a rock solid system that will be safe from intrusion,
cost's zero, and has an active support ( if needed) with security
experience.  In short quite a difference.

Give it a try, it won't cost you more then a few hours of working time.
If you live in my area i will do this for free (that's a promise)

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)