Year old IP keeps surfacing

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Tue Feb 19 18:17:23 UTC 2002

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 05:12:13PM +0000, Ric wrote:

> We have been running our own DNS for over 5 years now without any problems.
> However we changed the IP of our main webserver (www.digital-animations.com)
> almost a year ago (to a colocation facility) and ever since then the old
> (pre-move) IP keeps resurfacing across the internet, with varying percentages
> of the population getting the out of date IP. We worked around this problem by
> running a web mirror at the old IP but since we are now moving office this is
> no longer possible.

Someone has registered www.digital-animations.com as a nameserver.

   Server Name: WWW.DIGITAL-ANIMATIONS.COM
   IP Address: 193.132.240.213
   Registrar: MELBOURNE IT, LTD. D/B/A INTERNET NAMES WORLDWIDE
   Whois Server: whois.melbourneit.com
   Referral URL: http://www.melbourneit.com

Contact the above registrar to remove the entry or fix the IP address it
maps to on the gTLD servers.

> I've been through the tech support personel from all the ISPs we deal with for
> leased lines, colocation, etc and no-one has found the problem yet. We've
> changed Registrars, moved DNS from ourselves to our ISP (this only caused more
> problems). I'd be overjoyed to discover the problem was a stupid error in our
> zone file, but if it is no-ones found it yet.

Surprising nobody picked this up in all those support calls. This is a
FAQ.
Nate Campi     Job: hostmaster at lycos.com and root at wired.com

Find Osama and remove
 # find / -name Osama -exec rm {} \;