Move DNS to a new server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 19 02:45:48 UTC 2002

Ramesh_Donti at tnt.com.au wrote:

> Now we are running DNS on a HP-UX server and planning to move onto a SUN
> server.
> Could you all give some inputs in implementing this.
> For some reasons, I can't use the existing DNS servers name and IP address
> as well for the new one.

Well, what kind of role does this nameserver play? Is it just serving your
domains to the Internet, is it being used by all of your desktop clients (and
perhaps internal forwarding nameservers) to resolve names, or some
combination of the two? The intricacies involved in moving a
*delegated* nameserver (mostly registry stuff) are quite different from the
intricacies involved in moving a *resolving* nameserver. If you're using
DHCP with your desktop clients, by the way, then moving a resolving
nameserver should be a lot easier...

- Kevin