what if central dns servers are blown up ?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 16 18:26:38 UTC 2002

skybuck wrote:

> I was just wondering what would happen if the dns servers were blown
> up which host the .com domains for example.

DNS resolution would stop for the relevant domains, possibly all
domains if we lost all 13 root name servers. Although the
degredation may be slightly graceful depending one what caching
times people have used.

But the root name servers are widely distributed, and it would
require quite a major event to physically compromise all 13 of
them at the same time, without it being the end of the world as
we know it.

I think far bigger threats exist to the Internet infrastructure
than physical destruction of all the servers at the same time.