SOA record fundementals

Sam Pointer sam.pointer at hpdsoftware.com
Fri Feb 15 16:37:27 UTC 2002

I have a quick question if anybody would be happy to oblige. Thanks in
advance for any help/responses.

As I understand it the Zone Data File for any given zone can only have one
SOA record; fair enough. I also understand that the 1st field of the SOA
record is the FQDN of the primary master nameserver for the given zone.;
again fair enough.

So, to build an example, lets assume my SOA record looks like this:

mydomain.com.		IN	SOA	ns1.mydomain.com.
root.mydomain.com. (..etc)

Now, if I were to set up another *master* dns server for this zone, would
the SOA record for *that* server look like:

mydomain.com.		IN	SOA	ns2.mydomain.com. root.mydomain.com.
(..etc)

						OR

mydomain.com.		IN	SOA	ns1.mydomain.com. root.mydomain.com.
(..etc)

To put this in some context I'll explain what I am trying to accomplish. We
have 2 leased lines from 2 different ISPs. All our boxes are multi-homed
internally. I wish to have one set of DNS servers dishing out "ISP A"
addresses and another set "ISP B" addresses. Why? I hear you ask. Well, the
general premise is that (by keeping cachining TTL values very low - the
boxes are all low-traffic) if we get a problem with in-bound connectivity
with either of the ISPs we can take off-line their respective DNS servers at
our end and stop advertising the addresses. This will force all DNS requests
to resolve to the "good" ISP addresses thereby minimising distruption. When
everything clears itself up we can bring the DNS servers back up and have
both lines active again for in-bound traffic.

In short I want 2 different DNS servers on 2 different IP ranges to serve
the same domain names.

Again, thanks.

This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and are intended
solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient you must
not disclose, forward, copy or take any action in reliance on this message
or its attachments. If you have received this email in error please notify
the sender as soon as possible and delete it from your computer systems.
necessarily reflect those of HPD Software Limited or its affiliates.

 At present the integrity of email across the internet cannot be guaranteed
and messages sent via this medium are potentially at risk.  All liability
is excluded to the extent permitted by law for any claims arising as a re-
sult of the use of this medium to transmit information by or to
HPD Software Limited or its affiliates.