round robin and QIP

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Fri Feb 15 12:32:54 UTC 2002

sean <oxandrolone at hotmail.com> wrote:

> We are usign QIP as our IP address management platform.

Condoleances.

> Lately alot of our customer have been asking for round robin DNS, eg
> two hosts resolve to 1 host, with added requirement that they be able
> to reach either host by a specific name.

Standard in bind since early -90's

> We are on version 5.2.  There doesn't seem to be anyway to service
> these requests using the QIP gui, you need edit the files by hand.

This has no place in the GUI, it's an issue about how the last
nameserver ( closest to the client) handles RR sets.

> Does anyone know if there is a way to do this in QIP?

Add 2 records for the resource, with different ip addresses. The rest
is automatically done by bind.

Now, you might have an old clone of bind supplied by qip,
using a caching-only nameserver "to be used by the clients" will
cure this.

Spreading caching-only servers is a good idea anyway, shortens delays and
spreads loading.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)