dns MX caching issue

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 10:57:37 UTC 2002

Michael Harris wrote:

> however an SOA query to either of these servers for worthfunding.com
> turns up the following mismatch for NS records:

> So the NS records listed by this authoritative server does not include
> either
> of the registered authority servers. I do not know if/why this is a
> problem,
> but looking at several major ISP domains the servers listed always
> reconcile
> between the registration and that returned by the SOA to an authority.

Dan Bernstein discusses this being a problem for some BIND
versions under limited parenting in his "Notes on the Domain
Name System" http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/notes.html

The same is true of the interland DNS delegation.

I'd suggest upgrading to 9.2 anyway, not sure if it helps with
this one but it is better than 9.1 in lots of little ways.

But the quick fix is for "Interland" to put the original DNS
servers back in as NS for the various zones, then they can
change the delegation info on the .com servers, and then take
the old server out again, and delgation will be perfect, fast
and tidy.

After that Interland could choose a sensible default TTL as well
to give their DNS servers a bit of a rest ;)

--
Free Software: What good is Open Source without Freedom?
Open Source Day 2002/04/27 Exeter University