Running a secondary server BIND V9 as a primary

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Feb 13 15:12:49 UTC 2002

And Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net replied:

>Configure the zone as a slave on the Solaris server.  On the Windows
>server, remove the NS record that points to itself, and add the Solaris
>server to the "Name Servers" tab of the zone properties.

The W2k DNS code will re-create the deleted NS record for itself unless
you disable this activity (via a posting from Michael Bateman Feb 6):

     It is possible to disable this activity.  The easiest being the
     following command.

     dnscmd servername /config zonename /AllowNSRecordsAutoCreation

     This command disables NS record autocreation
     entirely.  If you wish to allow NS autocreation for a
     subset of name servers, execute the same command again
     followed by a list of IP addresses.  Only those IP
     addresses will be able to autocreate NS records for
     themselves.

I have not tried this in our W2k testbed or our W2k production network.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov