named 8.2.4-REL using 99% of CPU?

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Wed Feb 13 14:47:36 UTC 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 06:45:10PM -0800, David Kutcher wrote:

> Some times it'll shoot up to 99% utilization of my systems CPU's for
> about 5 mintues, then go back down and run at around 1% CPU or less.
>
> Other times (like now) it'll shoot up to 99% utilization and stay
> there.  Starting named up yields only the following messages:

I was having the same problem, named would drive the load average and
CPU utilization quite high. I decided to dump the stats and saw that my
machine was serving a legitimate 2,000-3,000 queries/sec to some mail
servers we have.
Nate Campi     Job: hostmaster at lycos.com and root at wired.com

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.