bind 9.2 multidomain resolution !?!?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Feb 8 17:47:03 UTC 2002

In article <a4126l$a16 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <r_no at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi-again gurus,
>
>First thakns for the first help, it was a mistake in the config file, I
>was using # in place of ;
>
>Here is my next problem:
>My server (darkstar) is on one domaine (gva.ca.com), it's not a server
>of this domain, but this server is Master for DN1.ch and DN2.ch, it
>receive the request through a router that has connection to this 2
>clients.
>I'd like to forward the request to gva.ca.com to laurel, and the request
>to the other ca.com (like lsn, zrh) to bonnie, How ?

zone "ca.com" {
  type forward;
  forwarders { <address of bonnie>; };
};
zone "gva.ca.com" {
  type forward;
  forwarders { <address of laurel>; };
};

>Also what information does I have to put in the SOA of eache zone file
>(db.127.0.0, db.DN1.ch, db.DN2.ch, db.172.24.1 and db.172.24.2 ) ?
>Should I put the following line:
>
>$TTL 86400
>@       SOA     darkstar.gva.ca.com. postmaster.gva.ca.com. (
>                                0108022002     ; Serial No.
>                                3h   ; Refresh
>                                1h    ; Retry
>                                1w ; Expire
>                                1h ) ; Minimum
>; DNS server record
>        NS      darkstar.gva.ca.com.

That looks correct.

>and in the PTR record does I have to put the FQDN name or just the name
>of the conputer ?

PTR records must contain fully qualified names, since the default suffix is
the name of the reverse domain.

>and same question for the A record ?

In the forward domains you can leave off the domain suffix, since it
defaults to the zone name.  So you can either write:

host  IN A  1.2.3.4

or

host.DN1.ch. IN A 1.2.3.4

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net