Static IP resolving in BIND 8.x

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Feb 6 15:21:00 UTC 2002

In article <a3r58r$6nv at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Oliver Neumann <oliver.neumann at newidentity.de> wrote:
>Lets imagine having an entry in named.conf like this :
>
>-x-x- named.conf -x-x-
>
>[...]
>zone "foobar.com" IN {
>        type master;
>        notify no;
>        file "foobar.com.zone";
>};
>
>-x-x- named.conf -x-x-
>
>and I have set up the following zone-file :
>
>-x-x- foobar.com.zone -x-x-
>$TTL    3D
>@       IN      SOA     foo.foobar.com. root.foo.foobar.com. (
>                                      2002020601; Serial
>                                      8H        ; Refresh
>                                      2H        ; Retry
>                                      4W        ; Expire
>                                      1D )      ; Minimum
>                NS      foo.foobar.com.
>                MX      10      foo.foobar.com.

NS and MX records must point to primary names, not aliases.

>foobar    A       100.100.100.100
>
>foo    CNAME   foobar
>-x-x- foobar.com.zone -x-x-
>
>So now foo.foobar.com will be resolved to 100.100.100.100 ... that's clear.
>But now imagine there is also an www.foobar.com and this domain should be
>resolved via ROOT-DNS-Server. Can I set up the system that way, that every
>*.foobar.com subdomain which cannot be resolved within my zone-file, will be
>tried via root-servers?

Instead of:

zone "foobar.com"

do:

zone "foo.foobar.com" {
  type master;
  file "foobar.com.zone";
};
zone "foobar.foobar.com" {
  type master;
  file "foobar.com.zone"; # Yes, the same filename as above
};

foobar.com.zone should then look like:

@ IN SOA ...
     NS @