How can I check if my resolution server

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Wed Feb 6 13:51:58 UTC 2002

On Feb 6 2002 14:29 +0100, bob hy wrote:

> For this test, I thought I could use dig or host and
> force a authoritative request to bypass the cache et
> be sure that the answer come from Internet ...
> But it always use the cache...
>
> How can I do that ?
> (the option +aa for dig is not implemented I think)

Take a look in the book DNS and BIND, 4th edition, page 476 which says
in part:

	RES_AAONLY:
	  Requires the answer to be authorative, not from a name
	  server's cache. It's too bad this isn't implemented, as it
	  would be a useful feature. Given the BIND resolver's design,
	  this feature would have to be implemented in the name
	  server, and it's not.

So I guess you're out of luck with that at least unless and until the
BIND developers decide it's important enough to implement it.

> Is it possible to clear the cache for a particular
> value ? (and not the whole cache)
>
> Thanks.
>
> I haven't found my response in the archive list
>
> David

I am not aware of any such functionality, but I believe it has been
discussed before.

Michael Kjörling

- --
Michael Kjörling  --  Programmer/Network administrator  ^..^
Internet: michael at kjorling.com -- FidoNet: 2:204/254.4   \/
PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e

``And indeed people sometimes speak of man's "bestial" cruelty, but
this is very unfair and insulting to the beasts: a beast can never be
so cruel as a man, so ingeniously, so artistically cruel.''
(Ivan Karamazov, in Dostoyevsky's 'The Brothers Karamazov')

*** Thinking about sending me spam? Take a close look at
*** http://michael.kjorling.com/spam/ before doing so.