VPN and something like Dynamic DNS ...

Thorsten Wandersmann pitu at caipy.de
Wed Feb 6 09:47:00 UTC 2002

Hi there.

My network ist parted in two LANs, which should be connected over the
Internet as a VPN.

Both lans belong to the domain "intern.all" and are connected to the
internet with DSL. Every 24 hours the routers get a new IP.

The first lan with router "local" (local.intern.all) has the net
192.168.10.0/24 and the network with the router stasch
(stasch.intern.all) has the net 192.168.2.0/24 (this is historical).

stasch is connected to the internet with ppp0 connected to eth0. eth1 is
connected to the lan.

local is connected to the internet with ppp0 connected to eth1, eth0 is
connected to the lan.

On both machines bind is running (bind8).

At the moment on both maschines apache is running. Each time, the ip-up
script is started on one maschine, with the help of lynx the current ip is
send to the other maschine, where a php script is writing this into a
file.
Than another script looks at this file an generates from this entry a
hosts.in the /etc/hosts.

Ok, dyndns for _very_ poor (I could export the hosts now by yp ...), i
really don't need full dyndns, a poor dyndns would enough. So what I mean,
is I would let this script write its info instead into /etc/hosts into the
zone/rev files.

Because I need to restart the named anyway this is not something
unusefull. (Unless you can tell me, how to avoid this each time, when I
get a new ip from my provider.)

My problem in this case is, I don't know how to give two IP-adresses to
one maschine in bind.
I looked into the manual, but because not really knowing what to look for
I didn't found anything.

So, what do I have to do now? Or do you have a better idea?

Here are some configs, I think you (could) need (taken from "local"):

- --------------- named.conf -----------------

options {
   directory "/var/named";
   statistics-interval 0;
   forwarders { 194.25.2.129; 217.5.115.7; };
   allow-query { 127.0/16; 192.168.10.0/24; };
};

zone "localhost" in {
   type master;
   notify no;
   file "localhost.zone";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
   type master;
   notify no;
   file "127.0.0.zone";
};

zone "intern.all" in {
   type master;
   notify no;
   file "intern.all.zone";
};

zone "10.168.192.in-addr.arpa" in {
   type master;
   notify no;
   file "192.168.10.rev";
};

zone "." in {
   type hint;
   file "root.hint";
};

- --------- intern.all.zone -----------------------
$TTL 2D
intern.all.		IN SOA		local   root.intern.all (
				2001110300	; serial (d. adams)
				1D		; refresh
				2H		; retry
				1W		; expiry
				2D )		; minimum

		IN NS		local
		IN MX   10	local

local		IN A		192.168.10.35
nicky		IN A		192.168.10.34
jack		IN A		192.168.10.36
stasch		IN A		192.168.2.1
armin		IN A		192.168.2.2
maria		IN A		192.168.2.3
haringor	IN A		192.168.2.4
temp1		IN A		192.168.2.5
temp2		IN A		192.168.2.6

- --------- 192.168.10.rev -----------------------
$TTL 2D
10.168.192.in-addr.arpa.  IN SOA  test.intern.all.  root.intern.all. (
				2001031501	; serial
				1D		; refresh
				2H		; retry
				1W		; expiry
				2D )		; minimum

		IN NS		local.intern.all.

34		IN PTR		nicky.intern.all.
35		IN PTR		local.intern.all.
36		IN PTR		jack.intern.all.

- --------- 192.168.2.rev ------------------------
$TTL 2D
2.168.192.in-addr.arpa.  IN SOA  test.intern.all.  root.intern.all. (
				2001031501	; serial
				1D		; refresh
				2H		; retry
				1W		; expiry
				2D )		; minimum

		IN NS		stasch.intern.all.

2		IN PTR		armin.intern.all.
3		IN PTR		maria.intern.all.
4		IN PTR		haringor.intern.all.
5		IN PTR		temp1.intern.all.
6		IN PTR		temp2.intern.all.

thanks a lot.
thorsten

- --
11880 - 11 Fehler in Windows, 88 Loesungen, 0 funktionieren

Thorsten Wandersmann
e-Mail: pitu at caipy.de
http://www.caipy.de