subdomain/name clash - avoiding shooting feet

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Wed Feb 6 00:44:34 UTC 2002

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 04:34:49PM -0800, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> I was asked today to create an CNAME for www.masterplan.columbiafunds.com
> since some people just cannot type in a web address without prepending www.
>

> My knee jerk response was, "Can't do that.  We have an entry for
> masterplan.columbiafunds.com to create a www... would not work because we
> don't have a subdomain named masterplan...
>
> Is that right?  Or can I create the CNAME listed above given that
> masterplan.columbiafunds.com already exists?  i.e. is a construction of
> host.hostname.domain.tld legal/allowable where hostname.domain.tld exists?

No problem, just add www.masterplan.columbiafunds.com into the
columbiafunds.com zone file.

I have a nameserver dc3-ns1.dc3.lycosnetwork.com. but no
dc3.lycosnetwork.com subdomain. Works fine. It all lives in the
lycosnetwork.com zone file.
Nate Campi     Job: hostmaster at lycos.com and root at wired.com

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.