To .local or .com ?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Tue Feb 5 17:37:13 UTC 2002

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 10:44:38AM -0500, Joe Kattner wrote:

> There are currently 4 listed: .test, .example, .invalid, and .localhost. See
> RFC 2606 for reference.
>
> I had thought that .lan was also reserved somewhere, but can't seem to find
> where that may have been.
>
> --Joe

I don't believe that it is mentioned in an RFC in this context; but as
I haven't memorized them, I may be wrong.  ;-)

I believe that the above are specifically for testing and examples in
documentation, not for production use.

Using random TLDs for this purpose incurs the risk that they will later
become publicly used.  This is obviously more of a risk with TLDs such
as ".coop" and ".pro", and less of a risk with names like
".lucasiewicz".

Note also that use of TLDs that are not on public use means that you
can't use the same internal e-mail address as external.  This is simply
fixed by E-mail Address Translation [sorry, it's lunch time here ;-)]
at the firewall boundary.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B