sysquery: no addresses found for NS

Eric Chevalier Eric at vikingsoft.com
Tue Feb 5 16:57:30 UTC 2002

Jim Reid wrote:

>Consult the list archives. This question has been asked and answered
>many times before. It's also on the web site with the a-z of BIND8
>error messages. You can find that URL through the list archives too.
>
>To answer your question, the error is reported because you've said
>that some name is a name server for some zone -- there's an NS record
>for it in the zone file -- but that name does not exist.

What I found in the list archive was discussion about the message
"sysquery: no addresses found for root NS", which is not quite the same
error that I'm seeing.  And all of the messages that are being generated
by my internal name server specify hosts that have nothing to do with
any of my zones; here's a sample of some of the name servers that are
being listed:

    A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    B.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    C.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    D.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    E.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    F.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    G.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    H.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    I.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    J.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    K.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    L.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
    NS1.usatoday.com
    NS2.usatoday.com
    NY.doubleclick.net
    bidz-2.bidz.com
    ns.broadjump.com
    ns.netscape.com
    ns1.CWVA.doubleclick.net
    ns1.UUSJ.doubleclick.net
    ns1.netscape.com
    ns1.outblaze.com
    ns1.snv.yahoo.com
    ns2.DCNY.doubleclick.net
    ns2.broadjump.com
    ns2.netscape.com
    ns2.san.yahoo.com
    ns3.europe.yahoo.com
    ns4.dal.yahoo.com
    ns5.dcx.yahoo.com

I don't think I should have NS records for any of these servers in MY
zone definitions.  Again, these messages are being issued by the private
name server, whose configuration hasn't changed.  It's the upgrade to
the public server that seems to have triggered these messages from the
private server.