Microsft Secondary probs

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Feb 5 00:52:02 UTC 2002

In article <a3n8uo$apq at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:
>	Any server that fails to support a wildcard CNAME is broken.

Read section 4.3.2 Algorithm of RFC 1034 and tell me where it says that you
should look for a wildcard CNAME record.  Here's the only mention of
wildcards in the algorithm that I can see:

         c. If at some label, a match is impossible (i.e., the
            corresponding label does not exist), look to see if a
            the "*" label exists.

            If the "*" label does not exist, check whether the name
            we are looking for is the original QNAME in the query
            or a name we have followed due to a CNAME.  If the name
            is original, set an authoritative name error in the
            response and exit.  Otherwise just exit.

            If the "*" label does exist, match RRs at that node
            against QTYPE.  If any match, copy them into the answer
            section, but set the owner of the RR to be QNAME, and
            not the node with the "*" label.  Go to step 6.

The third paragraph says how to use the wildcard record, and it doesn't say
anything about following a CNAME if the wildcard has that QTYPE.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA