dns problem very urgenet

Rajesh Bandar rajeshbreddy at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 2 03:26:12 UTC 2002

Hi,

I am running Bind 8.2.4 on solaris 2.6. We have a
domain name slnsw.gov.au. For some reasons our domain
name has been changed to sl.nsw.gov.au. But our old
domain slnsw.gov.au will be active for 1 more year.

Now I am configuring our DNS server to handle both
slnsw.gov.au and sl.nsw.gov.au.

I have two different database (zone) files for each
domain. But both www.slnsw.gov.au and
www.sl.nsw.gov.au.

I am confused for the reverse. Should I have the PTR
record to the old domain (slnsw.gov.au). Because I
can't have like

38  IN   PTR  image.slnsw.gov.au.
38  IN   PTR  image.sl.nsw.gov.au.

After I configure my dns for both slnsw.gov.au and
sl.nsw.gov.au it is not resolving any domain name.

Eg:

image# nslookup
Default Server:  image.
Address:  192.231.59.38

> www.sun.com
Server:  image.slnsw.gov
Address:  192.231.59.38

Name:    www.sun.com.gov
Served by:
- I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
          192.36.148.17

- E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
          192.203.230.10

- D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
          128.8.10.90

- A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
          198.41.0.4

- H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
          128.63.2.53

- C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
          192.33.4.12

- G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
          192.112.36.4

- F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
          192.5.5.241

- B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
          128.9.0.107

- J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
          198.41.0.10

Why is not resolving any of the external domians?
Could someone please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Rajesh.