Tip: Personal DNS server for Windows XP free !

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Wed Dec 25 12:23:42 UTC 2002

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 11:50:48PM +0100, Skybuck Flying wrote:

> Since bind 9.2.1 wasn't working on Windows XP and is difficult to setup for
> newbs and pro's via textfiles and search for a special dns server
> for windows xp :)
>
> I found and just installed this one and it works great :)
>
> ( I had to first deinstall bind though :) )
>
> Check it out:
>
> http://www.ntcanuck.com/
>
> It's free ! :)
>
> But is it secure ? :)

Don't use this thing. There was recently a long discussion here about
the author's somewhat ill-considered decision to save the cache to disk
between invocations. It came out during that discussion that the real
purpose behind BIND-PE seems to be to subvert the root servers by
seeding BIND-PE's hints file with every hare-braned "alternate root"
server set that the author has ever heard of.

As Duncan Campbell recently said:

        a structured, heirarchical, distributed database.
        a beautiful thing. don't break it.

BIND-PE breaks it. Don't use it.