dns bind 9.2.1 not working on Windows XP ?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Dec 21 03:24:40 UTC 2002

At 09:44 PM 12/19/02, Skybuck Flying wrote:
><Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote in message news:atrn59$egg4$1 at isrv4.isc.org...
> >
> > > <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote in message
>news:atrb4f$dmpp$1 at isrv4.isc.org...

> > > Well duh.
> > >
> > > Someone, I wont say who, said it who run out of the box.
> >
> > No version of named will run w/o a config file.  The simplest
> > config file is a empty file which is a caching server open to
> > everybody using the Internet's root servers.
>
>Thx for the tip, I tried it but it doesn't work :)
>
>I still get the same error with an empty named.conf file.

No it can't work that way. For Windows Mark was wrong since you
are running it as a system service. Unless you configured the
system service to run under and account and have given that
account a default login directory, it will fail. You need at a very
minimum the following lines in your named.conf:

options {
directory "C:/Windows/System32/dns/etc";
};

or whereever you want to put subsequent zone, logging, etc. files. I don't
know where you installed BIND so you need to adjust the directory name
as appropriate. When BIND starts, it needs to write the named.pid file
somewhere and this is the default location. Note that the directory needs
to be writeable in order to write this file. You should also be looking at
the application event log to find out what errors are being generated as
they go there by default.

Danny