dns bind 9.2.1 not working on Windows XP ?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Dec 19 04:40:15 UTC 2002

At 08:42 PM 12/18/02, Skybuck Flying wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I downloaded the binary kit for windows NT/2000 from this website:
>
>http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind9.html
>
>I unpacked it and installed it without modifieing anything.
>
>When I or Windows XP tries to start the 'service' it says:
>
>"Could not start the ISC BIND service on Local Computer."
>"Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly."

named won't start without a valid named.conf file. There are plenty
of Web pages that will tell you how to do this.

>I want to use bind to lookup DNS names.

Then you will need to change the list of nameserver listed in your
Network control panel (if your ISP is not supplying them) to point
to your own DNS otherwise the apps won't use it. Then you
need to stop the DNS Client Cache to prevent it interfering with
resolving requests.

>So I don't want my web browser to use my ISP's dns servers.
>
>I want my web browser to use my local dns bind server.

See above

>I also tried starting 'named.exe' with the -f option ?
>
>When I run named.exe it just says run me with -f

You can only run with the -f or -g option from the command line.
You cannot do it as a service.

>Not much help/options are there huh ?

The message should get fixed.

Danny