file zone serial number

José Enrique Díaz Jolly enrique at podernet.com.mx
Thu Dec 12 18:53:32 UTC 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Paola wrote:

=>
=>Hi,
=>
=>   I'm  in  trouble with serial numbers in my DNS architecture.
=>   My  DNS hierarchy is composed by a DNS master ( bind 8.1.2 notify -
=>enabled ) and two DNS slave.
=>   Sometimes the serial - numbers are of the same value but often the
=>master's serial number is greater than the slaves'  ( that are equals
=>) .
This often happens when you have increased your Serial on a master and the
slaves still have not requested the update, but you say you have notify
enabled, I would ask if your slaves are in the NS for your zones? Is your
master really notifying your slaves? Are the slaves requesting properly an
AXFR or IXFR from the master once they receive the notify. I guess it is
taking long time to check for changes or the slaves are not receiving the
notify either.

=>
=>   Does anyone know if this behaviour is correct ( and if it is  so
=>... why ? ) or if I have a true problem ( big problem ) ?
=>   Thanks in advance.
=>
=>

--

-- 'Tis true; there's magic in the web of it. --Othello (III.iv.69) ---

The river is within us, the sea is all about us.
José Enrique Díaz Jolly				e-mail: enrique at podernet.com.mx
Podernet NOC - Systems Manager			  http://www.podernet.com.mx
Podernet +52 (55) 5257-0730			   icq: 14506020