file zone serial number

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Dec 12 17:58:13 UTC 2002

Paola wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I'm  in  trouble with serial numbers in my DNS architecture.
>    My  DNS hierarchy is composed by a DNS master ( bind 8.1.2 notify -
> enabled ) and two DNS slave.
>    Sometimes the serial - numbers are of the same value but often the
> master's serial number is greater than the slaves'  ( that are equals
> ) .
>
>    Does anyone know if this behaviour is correct ( and if it is  so
> .... why ? ) or if I have a true problem ( big problem ) ?
>    Thanks in advance.

Serial numbers are used for triggering replication between the master and
its slaves. When the serial number is higher on the master, it just means
that the zone has changed and that the slaves need to transfer the zone
in order to get that change. Once all of the slaves transfer the zone,
they'll all have the same serial number for it. What you're seeing is
perfectly normal.

- Kevin