sendmail does not find mx record for aclvb.be

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Dec 12 00:19:13 UTC 2002

Roland Vlerick wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am unable to send mail to the domain aclvb.be. I am using sendmail
>8.11.2
>My dns servers are BIND 9.2.0.
>
>I tried finding out, from  some webservers who offer a nslookup, dig
>service I sometimes receive the MX record and IP and sometimes not.
>
>Why is there a difference and what is wrong with the aclvb.be domain.

Looks like ns.arta.be is claiming authority for the root zone:

fwiod01.is.chrysler.com% dig aclvb.be mx

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> aclvb.be mx
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      aclvb.be, type = MX, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
aclvb.be.               1D IN MX        10 a.mx.aclvb.be.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       3D IN NS        ns.arta.be.

;; Total query time: 862 msec
;; FROM: fwiod01.is.chrysler.com to SERVER: default -- 127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Wed Dec 11 19:13:05 2002
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 26  rcvd: 68

This is very *very* bad. This nameserver is also not returning the A
record for a.mx.aclvb.be in the response to the MX query, thus further
compounding the problem.

                        - Kevin