root servers

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 11 20:44:52 UTC 2002

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:

> Damien SOULIER <damien.soulier at free.fr> wrote:
> > I have one question and i can't find any answer.
> > Why there is only 13 root servers.
> > If someone can give me an answer, it will be fine.

..snip..

> -  13 is pretty much he limit to pack in one answer.

Provided that answer packs down to 512 octets or less, which is
when older resolvers switch from UDP to TCP and bump up the work
load required to supply the list of root name servers as an
answer.

So more than 13 would increase the work load, I assume also for
many referals. I guess it would be a lame hack to hack the root
name servers, and them up the size of the zone just to see if it
could be used to grind the Internet to a standstill.

Of course there could be more than 13, if they were meddling
with the routing underneath to create multiple copies of the
same server around the world, but they haven't done that yet
AFAIK, but there was talk of multiple F's.