Recursion just died...

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Dec 11 03:24:32 UTC 2002

At 10:35 PM 12/5/02, John Oliver wrote:
>On 5 Dec 2002 23:51:30 -0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> > What is the output of "dig @127.0.0.1 www.sun.com a" or similar
> > random address.
>
>Many work.  Some don't... I get a list of root servers instead.  If I
>try to ping www.sun.com, for example, I'll just about always get
>"Unknown host".  slrn bombs out, unable to resolve the hostname of my
>news server.  If I comment out my own IP address from resolv.conf and
>use my secondary server, everything works fine.
>
>Oh, and something else that changed... I had bound another IP address to
>eth0 a few days ago, so when I restarted named, it would obviously be
>listening on the new interface.  Shouldn't make a difference, but if I
>had a nickle for every time I said that... :-)
>
>Also, my crappy NT 4 box, which is allowed to query recursively, says:
>
>C:\>nslookup ns.sdsitehosting.net
>DNS request timed out.
>     timeout was 2 seconds.
>*** Can't find server name for address 64.119.217.40: Timed out
>*** Default servers are not available
>Server: UnKnown
>Address: 64.119.217.40
>
>Name:   ns.sdsitehosting.net
>Address: 64.119.217.40

Looks like there is no PTR record for 40.217.119.64.in-addr.arpa.

>So... even though the "servers aren't available", and it "can't find
>server name", it still works.  There is rDNS for 64.119.217.40 which is
>fine as far as I can see.  I hate using nslookup or NT for an example,
>but... it's all I've got... :-)

You can download one of the Win32 BIND binary kits from ISC. It has
dig in it as well as host and even nslookup. There are kits for both
BIND 8 and BIND 9. You only need the DLL's and dig.exe to be in
the same directory to run it.

Danny