Possible to copy an entire domain?

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Tue Dec 10 08:02:32 UTC 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Don Stokes wrote:

> It's not at all implicit.

Well, for sufficiently liberal definitions of "implicit," which include
"What was in Doug's brain before his fingers got involved." I fixed that,
thanks.

> Consider these registered domains:

While I sympathize with your example, I would also consider it an example
of what not to do. The simple solution is to have your "administrative"
domain, and your authoritative name servers, in the same TLD; as you
demonstrated.

> Really, in COM or NET land, if your registrar makes adding host records
> hard, find a new registrar.

It's not adding them. It's managing them. What happens when a former
client leaves, and takes their domains (and "my" host records) with them?
Not to mention, when you're dealing with hundreds of thousands of domains,
in over a hundred TLD's, adding a new host record for every domain (and
deleting them, etc.) would just be too much.

> As TLDs split further, and more names go into TLDs other than COM and
> NET, this is only going to get worse.  Even our old, uh, friend Verisign
> has made adding host records to the registry seamless.

Yeah, as long as you stick with "label.domain.com." :)  But seriously
folks, half the ccTLD name servers in the world are recursive anyway, so
if you have any hopes of getting the glue to work in the first place, it's
likely to work right off the bat.

Doug

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?