Newbie: Looking for a version of bind. Please help!

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Sun Dec 8 21:46:32 UTC 2002

On 8 Dec 2002 06:03:03 -0000, Bill wrote:

> Hi, all. I'm trying to get started using BIND, and I've heard that
> there were some versions of bind which worked with win98SE, namely
> BIND 4.9.7, but I can't seem to find any binaries of these. Could
> someone kindly point me in the right direction? All other DNS software
> for win98SE is expensive, and BIND is superior anyway :).

Why on earth would you want to use Win98 for a DNS server???  That's
like hauling a trailer with a Yugo... sure, you can do it, but not very
well, and not for long before the engine blows.

Download a recent distribution of Linux.  It's free, and will include a
version of bind that'll work perfectly well.

Or, on the other hand... no offense, but anyone whose clue-level tells
them to use Win98 like this is probably better off letting their ISp
handle this sort of stuff for them.  This is how we wind up with
viruses, trojans, crackers, Nimda, Code Red, and a myriad of other
scripted nonsense floating around...

--
John Oliver, CCNA                            http://www.john-oliver.net/
Linux/UNIX/network consulting         http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/