BIND 9.2.1 acting as DNS for Win2k Active Directory

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Dec 9 01:07:58 UTC 2002

> [root at Alderaan named]# cat empire.intranet.zone
> $ORIGIN .
> $TTL 86400      ; 1 day
> @       IN SOA  Alderaan.empire.intranet.
> postmaster.empire.intranet.empire.intranet. (
>                                  101         ; serial
>                                  10800      ; refresh (3 hours)
>                                  3600       ; retry (1 hour)
>                                  604800     ; expire (1 week)
>                                  86400      ; minimum (1 day)
>                                  )
> Alderaan.empire.intranet. IN A 192.168.1.102
> _msdcs.empire.intranet. IN NS Alderaan.empire.intranet.
> _sites.empire.intranet. IN NS Alderaan.empire.intranet.
> _tcp.empire.intranet.   IN NS Alderaan.empire.intranet.
> _udp.empire.intranet.   IN NS Alderaan.empire.intranet.

	Well it helps if the $ORIGIN was "empire.intranet" rather than
	".".  That way @ would expand to "empire.intranet" rather than
	".".

	Also you need NS records for the zone.

	The nameserver would have logged messages like:

empire.intranet.zone:3: ignoring out-of-zone data (.)
zone empire.intranet/IN: could not find NS and/or SOA records
zone empire.intranet/IN: has 0 SOA records
zone empire.intranet/IN: has no NS records

> ALL OF MY "_"subzones have this same config, I will show _msdcs for
> debugging
>
> [root at Alderaan named]# cat _msdcs.empire.intranet.zone
> $ORIGIN .
> $TTL 86400      ; 1 day
> @               IN SOA  Alderaan.empire.intranet.
> postmaster.empire.intranet.empire.intranet. (
>                                  100         ; serial
>                                  10800      ; refresh (3 hours)
>                                  3600       ; retry (1 hour)
>                                  604800     ; expire (1 week)