CNAME and other data , BUG #428

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Dec 5 21:56:14 UTC 2002

Chimento, Douglas <Douglas.Chimento at fmr.com> wrote:

> From what I have seen :
> If A records show up in the file  before cnames , it seems to work fine.

> Bind=20
> Why does BIND reject the entire zone and not the entry which caused the
> issue?

In the "old days" bind didn't notice, instead errors creeped up randomly
at *other* nameservers ( depending on which order the responses came )

As this never been legal, nor meaningful, modern bind detects the
broken config and refuses to load such a zone.=20

And there is no point in having software guess what errors to ignore thus
bind discrads the whole zone.

What you are trying to do is simular to be "partly pregnant".

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20