[Fwd: correcting an error found with DNSreport]

Ben Keepper bkeepper at southlandtechnology.com
Thu Dec 5 01:27:48 UTC 2002

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Ben Keepper <bkeepper at southlandtechnology.com>
To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
Subject: correcting an error found with DNSreport
Date: 04 Dec 2002 16:46:07 -0800

>Greetings,

>I am trying to correct an error I am getting when I run DNSreport
>against
>one of our domains.

>the domain is sandicor.com and the error is:

>"WARNING: Your SOA (Start of Authority) record states that your master
>(primary) name server is: dns1.sandicor.. However, that server is not
>listed at the root servers as one of your NS records!
>This is probably legal, but you should be sure that you know what you
>are doing."

>We called Verisign, and they said everything looked correct.

>I know the warning says this is legal, but we are having flaky DNS
>issues
>with some ISP's not able to find hosts within our domain.

>Any thoughts?

>Ben

Just wanted to supply more information in case it might be useful.

Using one ISPs nameserver (I2Bnetworks, 66.181.0.2), if I ping a host in
this troubled domain (www.sandicor.com), it takes a long time in between
pings to resolve the name.  For 3 pings, it is taking 20 seconds.  If I
ping with the -n option, works just fine.

If I immeadiatly ping www.google.com, works perfect. So now I am really
suspicious of something in my zone file, or the configuration of the
name server.

If I switch to another ISPs nameserver (hosting.com,192.188.72.18),
everything works fine for the domain.

We are having users calling in from other (seemingly random) domains,
that can't resolve our hosts period.

TIA,

Ben