Bogus NS records and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 12:33:23 UTC 2002

Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:

>         Using "localhost" is BAD.

I'm with Mark on this one.

On a recursive server it should never be used, but if your
server is (or becomes authoritative) other (misconfigured)
servers could conceviably ask it and cache the incorrect
response.

Either way I make 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. with the same script I
use for all other reverse zones, so it gets the same template
name servers. Why do something different when doing it the same
way will be perfectly acceptable under all likely conditions?

I think the use of "bogus" in the paper was just an example
domain, when "example.com" would have been better as Cricket
suggested I believe.