Strange entries in secondary DNS server

Jeff Lasman jblists at nobaloney.net
Mon Dec 2 22:55:05 UTC 2002

sudhakar wrote:

> My primary DNS server was down for some time and I was wishing that I could
> use the secondary DNS server in the mean time.
> What has happened is that there are strange entries like:
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Dec  2 14:22 db.1.10.10.QrZfBa
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Dec  2 14:22 db.1.100.10.N2jGta
>
> I'd appreciate if any of you gurus can explain to me why this is happening
> and how can I come around it.By the way my name resolution has stopped
> working.

If I recall correctly these are temporary files the slave server creates
while it's trying to get the zone files from the master.

But yours can't get the zone files <frown>.

There are two ways to solve the extended outage problem... the first is
to change the soa record before you have a problem, to give a longer
expire time; perhaps a much longer expire time; most zones really don't
change that often.  The second is to have a copy of the master's
named.conf file, and use it (edited as necessary) to temporarily change
the slave into a master as soon as you find the master has failed.

If anyone sees anything wrong with either scenario, or has a better,
idea, please let us know <smile>.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Internet & Unix/Linux/Sun/Cobalt Consulting +1 909 778-9980