what is wrong with my DNS server

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Mon Dec 2 18:19:32 UTC 2002

"Madhu Nair" <eloormadhu at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:asg515$u0r$1 at isrv4.isc.org...

> I have a master DNS server (www.solveris.com) and a secondary DNS
> server (www.solveris.net) running on redhat 7.1 system with bind 9.2.1
> and I have a zone configured for a domain name northshorecc.org
>
> I have registered these name servers as the DNS servers for this
> domain.

No, you have registered:
$ dig northshorecc.org ns @ns2.eskia.com +norec
;; ANSWER SECTION:
northshorecc.org.       172800  IN      NS      ns2.esika.com.
northshorecc.org.       172800  IN      NS      www.solveris.net.

Your zone data only contains:
$ dig northshorecc.org ns @www.solveris.net +norec
;; ANSWER SECTION:
northshorecc.org.       86400   IN      NS      ns2.esika.com.

ns2.esika.com does not respond to my queries.

> If I do a nslookup www.northshorecc.org, 50% of the DNS servers in the
> internet is resolving it correctly, while remaining is giving me
> server fail/ connection timeout error.
> Also same DNS server which resolves this domain name one day fails
> next day.
>
> I have hosted these 2 nameservers on a DSL network (128/768)
>
> Two days back I changed my primary DNS server from my network to a T1
> network and things started working fine.
> Does some one has any idea about the behaviour.
>
> Thanks in advance

Get at least 2 working name servers, and make the NS records in your zone
data match the records you give to your registrar.