Bogus NS records and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Dec 1 01:23:09 UTC 2002

At 04:48 PM 11/30/02, Cricket Liu wrote:

>John Hascall wrote:
> >    The linux howto in question uses 'linux.bogus' as the example
> >    domain (arguably 'example.com' would have been a less confusing
> > choice).
>
>So is your question what domain name to use in the NS record for
>0.0.127.in-addr.arpa?
>
>If your host has a domain name already, use that.
>
>If you're going to create a local zone that will contain information
>about your hosts, say foo.example, use the domain name for the
>name server in that zone.
>
>If "none of the above," make up a domain name (as Nicolai did).  The
>domain name in the NS record doesn't really matter, since the NS
>record in this particular zone isn't used for anything.

There's no need to make up a name. localhost is a valid name. If
others are accessing it, you should have a valid name for the
machine. In addition, if this is a caching-only server, the only zones
for which the machine is authorative is localhost. and
0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. in which case you SHOULD use localhost.
It's not clear why he would make up a name when he should be
using localhost. (I assume that you are discussing section 3.0).

Danny