BIND problem - not updating after change and restart

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 12 21:40:12 UTC 2002

StuG wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently made a change to a couple of domains on my server and, for
> whatever reason, the changes haven't propagated.  The changes were made with
> Webmin and it's BIND 8.? running on the server.
>
> Is this a common problem with BIND, is it something Webmin has done or have
> I f at cked up somewhere?  Pulling my hair out anyway.

It may be Webmin's fault, or it might be yours; you haven't really given us
enough information to determine the root cause of the problem.

When you say "haven't propagated", do you mean the changes appear on the master
server but not on the slaves, or do you mean they don't appear on the master
server either? If they don't appear on the master server, then you need to do
some further investigation into the way Webmin commits changes from the GUI to
the zone files or whatever backend store Webmin uses for loading the
nameserver.

If the change appears on the master, but not on the slaves then -- as always --
the first thing to check is the serial number on the zone.

- Kevin