firewall blocking 53

Eric L. Howard elh at outreachnetworks.com
Wed Aug 7 18:49:48 UTC 2002

At a certain time, now past, Pete Ehlke spake thusly:

> On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 02:04:22PM -0400, Eric L. Howard wrote:

> > > Most of the DNS is UDP traffic. It's expected that there will sometimes
> > > be timeouts.
> >
> > 40 seconds is still a long time to wait for a reply packet.  Whether that
> > packet is delivered via UDP or as part of a TCP session...
> >
> > So many things could have happened to a packet/session in 40 seconds, that
> > the timeout has got to be set somewhere.
>
> I completely agree. *Applications* should set a timeout; named's default
> is 30 seconds. And there might be certain paranoid situations in which a
> firewall administrator might want to dynamically block random ports that
> send datagrams that never get replied to- there are certainly various
> badguy applications that are known to communicate via unacknowledged DNS
> or ICMP packets, for example. But you've not convinced me that this is a
> good thing to be applying to your internal name servers, which due to
> the nature of the DNS *will* sometimes emit queries that do not get
> responded to.

Applications should have a *priority* in setting such values.  If the
application fails in any way [sure...we've never seen misconfigured/broken
apps <g>], where's the fall-back?

> > > If you've set up Firewall-1 to dynamically block ports on your name
> > > server based on the fact that it's sending UDP datagrams that don't get
> > > replied to, then you have shot yourself in the foot. Pinning your query
> > > source-port won't help at all.
> > > The right answer here is "Don't do that".
> >
> > Firewall-1 by default is (was?) set to 40 seconds as the UDP timeout.
> > Aiding in his ability to nail down the timeout window.  This is not
> > necessarily a misconfiguration on anyone's part...
> >
> Well, if it cuts off services that are business critical and not meant
> to be cut off, then it's a misconfiguration. Full stop.

Agreed...but if named's default timeout = 30 seconds and Firewall-1 default
timeout = 40 seconds...where's the misconfiguration that cuts off services
that are business critical?

If he pushed up the default timeout on the nameserver, but didn't talk to
the firewall folks about services that traverse the firewall (what decent
firewall doesn't implement a timeout on dead/waiting connections?), then the
misconfiguration is on the nameserver end.

       ~elh

--
Eric L. Howard           e l h @ o u t r e a c h n e t w o r k s . c o m