DNS for local lan hostnames and forwarding for inet

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Wed Aug 7 14:09:09 UTC 2002

"D.Veccio" <dv at nousenet.spam.me> wrote in message
news:aiq44j$d9l6$1 at isrv4.isc.org...
> Hi,
>
> I don't have a domain at home, just a local lan with systems on it using a
> NAT'd linux box to connect to the inet.
>
> I'd like to have a DNS server on the linux box that 1) resolves single
word
> local hostnames (like "bedroom" and "laptop" for example) for all the
machines
> on the local lan and 2) forwards the rest of the requests to the ISPs
> nameservers and caches results.
>
> I have the forwarding working fine at the moment.
>
> I want to use single word hostnames without a domain name like
"computer12"
> and have it resolve to 192.168.1.12 or whatever, but I'm not sure how to
get
> this to work on all the other Win* systems that use the linux box as a
DNS.

This is a Windows configuration issue.  You need to modify the DNS section
of the TCP/IP properties in the Network Control Panel.  Put local.lan in the
domain field or in the domain search field.  Exactly where it is depends on
what version of Windows (you didn't say).  Different versions of windows
also behave differently with search paths - YMMV.