BIND Testing

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 7 01:44:23 UTC 2002

Rick Deckard wrote:

> I'm new to administering DNS. I'd thought I'd configure it in a test
> environment.
> I'm planning on running it on Linux. I've been using the Oreilly DNS and
> BIND publication for a study guide.
>
> I only have a few machines and I'm using DSL. I have dynamically assigned IP
> addresses. I'm using private address space for my test bed.
>
> My goal is to set up both a master and slave DNS server. Is this possible
> considering that I do not have a permanent IP address?

Well, the slave is going to have problems finding the master if its IP address
changes.

But, you said you're using private address space for your test bed. If the
master and slave are in the same test bed network, and *those* addresses are
static, then it doesn't really matter in DNS/BIND terms that the master and/or
slave might have some other interface with a dynamically-assigned address...

- Kevin