Does anyone know how to???

Bind-Users Mailist bind-users at dns1.vizion2000.net
Tue Aug 6 20:15:01 UTC 2002

> From bind-users-bounce at isc.org Tue Aug  6 08:51:17 2002
> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> From: phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
> Subject: Re: Does anyone know how to???
> Date: 6 Aug 2002 15:41:59 GMT
>

> Bind-Users Mailist <bind-users at dns1.vizion2000.net> wrote:
> >> From bind-users-bounce at isc.org Mon Aug  5 17:46:44 2002
> >> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> >> From: Paul Vixie <vixie at as.vix.com>
> >> Subject: Re: Does anyone know how to???
> >> Date: 05 Aug 2002 23:23:30 +0000

> >> ...though not for very much longer.
> >> --
> >> Paul Vixie
> >>

> > DNAME unfortunately is not powerful enough to do what I need to do.
>
> > I need to be able tp parse the contents of the enquiry and apply rule sets which will also draw information from a database to determine a the domain name to be returned.
>
> > Think of it as performing for a DNS a similar role to that performed for a Web server by the CGI.
>
> This is beginning to sound more and more unlikley to work in real life.
>
> Remember that DNS data is cached at varous places.
>
> A better method would be a redirection of an ip-address to other ip-addresses
> conditionally.
>

> > David Southwell
> > Systems Administrator
> > Vizion2000.net
>

> --
> Peter Håkanson
>         IPSec  Sverige      ( At Gothenburg Riverside )
>            Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out,
> 	   remove "icke-reklam" if you feel for mailing me. Thanx.

Caching is controlled by TTL - so I do not see caching as an issue for the application. If redirection is used we need a parsing mechanism to deal with the criteria for redirection.

The application works fine.. we have carried out some pretty exhaustive tests - now we need to inhtegrate it into the DNS.

David Southwell
Systems Administrator
Vizion2000.net