Slave server of a master with 'views'

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Aug 6 19:21:26 UTC 2002

Lluís Batlle i Rossell <vindicator at jazzfiesta.com> wrote:

> I'm having problems configuring a slave server for a master with
> 'views' configuration.
> I have different zone files for the zones the master serves deppending
> of the request: if it comes from 192.168.0/20 it uses internal zone
> files. Otherwise, it uses the external ones (i.e. from Internet).

> The servers have only one local interface, in 192.168.0.0/20 network.

> When the slave server downloads the zone information from the master,
> it uses the local area network (192.168.0.0/20), so it gets the local
> file zones. I must note that the "named.conf" has the same views
> configuration as the master; the only difference is between "master"
> or "slave" in zone configuration.

> The problem is that when the master has a request from Internet, it
> returns according to the external zone files (that's correct). But
> when the slave is requested from Internet, it returns RRs from the
> internal zone files (BAD BEHAVIOUR!).

> Has anyone had the same problem? Any suggestion???

> The servers work fine from the LAN.
> SOFTWARE: Bind 9.1.3 in Linux Suse 7.3   in the two DNS servers.

You need to use "transfer-source (ip4_addr | *) [port ip_port] ; ]" but since
you only use 1 ip it's difficult.

Did i hear you say "slave" and "at the same location" ? Bad idea. Place
your slave at least at your ISP, then the sourceaddress for zonetransfer
will come from outside.

And, do upgrade bind-9.1.3 it's quite old.

--
Peter Håkanson