forwarding 'almost all' queries to forwarder

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Tue Aug 6 17:55:36 UTC 2002

> Can anyone help me with setting up a caching nameserver that would be
> authoritative for my internal LAN, and simply forward everything it's not
> authoritative for to a forwarder that can resolve real internet host. What
> need specifically is how to configure the NAMED.CONF file to serve this
> purpose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That's how name servers that are configured to use a forwarder behave
by default.  Just use the forwarders options substatement to designate
the forwarder, and add one or more zone statements to configure your
name server as authoritative for some zones.  For example:

options {
    directory "/var/named";
    forwarders { 10.0.0.1; };
};

zone "foo.example" {
    type master;
    file "db.foo.example";
};

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/DNS-training/
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes