(clarification) need help setting up new domain

jeff donovan jdonovan at dns.beth.k12.pa.us
Tue Aug 6 16:02:45 UTC 2002

greetings,

after a little research ( archive rtfm).
I basically have 2 domains with one DNS server, and i want them to
resolve for the same address space.
" can this be done ? "

correct me if I'm wrong:

first i edit my named.boot file

;type           domain                  source file or host
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
directory       /etc/namedb
;
cache           .                               root.cache
;
primary	beth.k12.pa.us	domain.db
primary	bethsd.org		newdomain.db

Second i edit my named.conf to add the new zone.

zone "bethsd.org" {
         type master;
         file "newdomain.db";
};

Third I create a new SOA record for bethsd.org

@       IN      SOA     ns.bethsd.org     jdonovan.bethsd.org (
                                 2002062801      ; Serial number
                                 10800   ; Refresh every 3hours
                                 3600    ; Retry every hour
                                 604800  ; Expire every 7 days
                                 86400 ) ; Minimum 2 days
;
;Name Servers
;
                 IN      NS      ns.bethsd.org
                 IN      NS      dns.beth.k12.pa.us

;
                 IN      MX      5 ns.bethsd.org
                 IN      A       209.96.96.2
;
localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1

fourth i need to place multiple PTR records for my address space:

@       IN      SOA     dns.beth.k12.pa.us. hostmaster.beth.k12.pa.us. (
                         2002021901
                         10800
                         3600
                         604800
                         86400 )
;
                 IN      NS      dns.beth.k12.pa.us.
                 IN      NS      ns.bethsd.org

;
;
1.10.0.200.in-addr.arpa.	IN	 PTR	host1.beth.k12.pa.us.
			IN	PTR	host1.bethsd.org.

did i miss anything? is this the correct setup?
normally i would try and experiment however I can't afford the
downtime right now.

i am open for suggestions.

--j