root servers list changing?

Matthew Hannigan mlh at zip.com.au
Tue Aug 6 05:33:04 UTC 2002

Why do I suddenly feel like the ungrateful apprentice
under the baleful glare of the master :-)

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 09:59:11PM -0700, Cricket Liu wrote:
> > Well looks like I'll be off to buy the 4th edition of DNS + Bind
> > today.  I was resisting because I have the 1st edition and I was a little
> > underwhelmed by it :-(
>
> What did you find underwhelming about it (besides that it's ten
> years out of date)?

Going from memory ... (sorry, I don't have handy -- I've probably
lost it.)  It had a tendency to use assumptions
and jargon.  A tendency of many technical books; that's
nothing particular to this book really.  It's a common
comment about technical books that easy to follow once
you know the subject.

One particular frustration that I remember I had was that
it didn't have an example of the primary file for the
localhost/loopback domain.

That's sort of like the 'hello world' program of DNS.  Good
to give something to start with and to see sort of errors you
get if you change it.

I didn't end up buying 4th ed. yet .. $120 here :-(
I'll read the BoG first ...

Regards,
Matt