Does anyone know how to???

Bind-Users Mailist bind-users at dns1.vizion2000.net
Mon Aug 5 16:43:24 UTC 2002

> From bind-users-bounce at isc.org Sun Aug  4 14:43:27 2002
> Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:41:29 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bind-Users Mailist <bind-users at dns1.vizion2000.net>
> To: bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: RE: Does anyone know how to?
>
> > From bind-users-bounce at isc.org Sun Aug  4 14:27:01 2002
> > To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> > From: phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
> > Subject: Re: Does anyone know how to???
> > Date: 4 Aug 2002 21:19:15 GMT
> >

> > Bind-Users Mailist <bind-users at dns1.vizion2000.net> wrote:
> > > OK Here is what I want to do. I currently am running Bind 8 on a FreeBSD server system with a number of
> > > For one of those domains say example.com I want to take requests in the form of [subdomain].example.com and parse the contents of
> > > [subdomain] to produce a result in the form of [subnewsubdomain.newsubdomain].example.com which would then be used as a recursive enquiry to generate the IPaddress for subnewsubdomain.newsubdomain.example.com.
> >
> > > Does anyone have knowledge of a module that will do this or alternatively of some ideas how I sould go aboput it. Mt C/C++ coding skills are still fuinctional but suffering from neglect. I am also not familiar with the Bind sources so all help and encouragement would be appreciated.
> >
> > If you control the domain in question it sounds that the CNAME
> > type record should do what you ask for. Or do i mis-understand your
> > question ?
> >
> > --
> > Peter Håkanson
> >         IPSec  Sverige      ( At Gothenburg Riverside )
> >            Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out,
> > 	   remove "icke-reklam" if you feel for mailing me. Thanx.
> >

> Yep - I apoligise I did not make clear.
>
> [subdomain] has to be parsed to find out [newsubdomain]. It is not a straight translation that can be satisfied by using CNAME entries.
>
> Ideally I would like to replace the CNAME class with another class e.g. PNAME which would point to the subroutine for parsing the [subdomain]. That would seem to me to be the best way of handling my requirements.
>
> David Southwell
>
> SyssAdmin
> Vizion2000.net

One additional point.

Entries in the zone file are normally of the form:
somealias	IN	CNAME	somecanonicalnameorotheralies

What I would like to achieve is
For zone file example.com entries of the form
[*]		IN	PNAME	[Name of routine that parses [*] and returns somecanonicalnameorotheralias]

Does anyone have idea how this might be achieved or point me to the appropriate source code section(s). My C/C++ skills are somewhat rusty and a helpful start would be apprecaited.

Thanks