Lookup failure for own domain (Everything else works)

David Botham dns at botham.net
Mon Aug 5 14:47:24 UTC 2002

"1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.IP6.INT
"
> {
>
>         type master;
>         file "localhost-v6.rev";
> };
>
> // NB: Do not use the IP addresses below, they are faked, and only
> // serve demonstration/documentation purposes!
> //
> // Example secondary config entries.  It can be convenient to become
> // a secondary at least for the zone where your own domain is in.  Ask
> // your network administrator for the IP address of the responsible
> // primary.
> //
> // Never forget to include the reverse lookup (IN-ADDR.ARPA) zone!
> // (This is the first bytes of the respective IP address, in reverse
> // order, with ".IN-ADDR.ARPA" appended.)
> //
> // Before starting to setup a primary zone, better make sure you fully
> // understand how DNS and BIND works, however.  There are sometimes
> // unobvious pitfalls.  Setting up a secondary is comparably simpler.
> //
> // NB: Don't blindly enable the examples below. :-)  Use actual names
> // and addresses instead.
> //
> // NOTE!!! FreeBSD can run bind in a sandbox (see named_flags in
rc.conf).
> // The directory containing the secondary zones must be write
accessible
> // to bind.  The following sequence is suggested:
> //
> //      mkdir /etc/namedb/s
> //      chown bind:bind /etc/namedb/s
> //      chmod 750 /etc/namedb/s
>
> /*
> zone "domain.com" {
>         type slave;
>         file "s/domain.com.bak";
>         masters {
>                 192.168.1.1;
>         };
> };
>
> zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type slave;
>         file "s/0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.bak";
>         masters {
>                 192.168.1.1;
>         };
> };
> */
> zone "unspecified.net" {
>         type master;
>         file "unspecified.net";
> };
>

> The contents of the file unspecified.net is as follows -
>
> unspecified.net. IN SOA ns1.unspecified.net.
> [...]

A records MUST have an IP address in the RDATA, not a hostname beginning
with 'www':
@           IN	A    	192.168.10.145
avon		IN	A	192.168.10.146

> ; Aliases
> mail            IN CNAME        @
While you have not included your MX records below, I suspect that the
record for "mail" above is for your MX records.  MX records should not
reference CNAME records.  Make the above an A record:

mail		IN	A	192.168.10.145

> ns1             IN CNAME        @
> ns2             IN CNAME        avon
Your RDATA for your NS records can't be CNAME records, make them A
records, even if that means making things a little redundant.

ns1 		IN	A	192.168.10.145
ns2		IN	A	192.168.10.146